Sunday, May 22, 2011

Christ Our Mediator and Prayer

“For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus.” (1 Tim 2:5) “Give us day by day our daily bread. And forgive us our sins, for we also forgive everyone who is indebted to us.” (Lk 11:3-4) “For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.” (Matt 6:14-15)

Father, without Jesus, Your Son, I would have no access to You, no fellowship, no intimacy. I would be left to myself, separated from You, without hope. Because of Him, I see You, and I see myself as before You. He instructs me in Your Word. Even in this, He acts as Mediator for us. It is He who teaches me about prayer: petition, with gratitude, for physical sustenance and forgiveness of my sin. These are my minimal daily needs, as creature and sinner—food and forgiveness. Living in Your presence, I understand dependency, I see my sin, and I pursue forgiveness with You through Your Son. He is our Mediator. He is also Your Son. As I know myself, I know others. You forgive me, so I forgive them. If my heart is closed toward them, then I will feel Your’s as closed toward me. Thank You, Father, for Your Son, prayer, and forgiveness.

“I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word; that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me.” (Jn 17:20-21) “Who is he who condemns? It is Christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us.” (Ro 8:34)

Father, Your Son Jesus prayed for me before He left this earth. He has returned to You and sits at Your side. As Mediator, He opened and secured the way to You. He is the living way. He teaches me to pray by praying Himself. He petitioned You for our unity and for the world to know You sent Him. You dealt with sin. You answered His prayer. From this oneness, may the world hear from me (even if in only a small way) that You sent Him. Might they believe. May they hear more. Jesus has ascended to Your side. You hear His voice and know His heart continually. Your Son never tires. Mediator between You and men while on the earth. I am grateful He continues as that for me day after day. Thank You, Father, for the gift of Your Son. I’m glad You have answered His prayer. You always hear Him.

“So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.” (Lk 11: 9-10) “If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!” (v. 13) “Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.” (Ro 8:26)

Father, Your Son, as Mediator, instructs me to pursue the best from You; Your Holy Spirit. I ask. I seek. I knock. I will receive. Thank You for the gift of Your Spirit. Father, what if no one prayed for me? What if each person had to carry that load his or her self? We hardly pray now. How would we endure? What if I never prayed for my true need but only superficial wants? What would be my end? I thank You, Father, that You did not leave these cares to me alone, but the Spirit, Whom You gave me, prays for me according to my true need. I do pray, LORD, but I do not pray enough or as I ought. I count on Your Spirit. I am unable to approach You apart from Your Son. He is the new and living way into Your presence. I am grateful, Father, that You hear Him, Your Spirit, and me. You have infinite capacity to receive our combined and ongoing petitions, and You show infinite delight in the chorus of our voices; each different, yet each toward You. Father, thank You for the gift of Your Spirit. He knows Your mind, Your Heart, my weakness and need, and Your language. You hear Your Son. You hear Your Spirit. Both are Your gift, as is prayer. Christ mediates for us. He instructs me. I believe. Thank You. Amen.

No comments: