Sunday, January 3, 2010

Your Goodness

“How great is your goodness, which you have stored up for those who fear you, which you bestow in the sight of men on those who take refuge in you. In the shelter of your presence you hide them.” (PS 31.19-20)

“And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, ‘Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God.’” (Rev 21.3; see Eph 2:19-22, Jn 14:23)

“And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever—the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.” (Jn 14.16-17) “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” (14.27)

“I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.” (Jn 15.11) “I tell you the truth, you will weep and mourn while the world rejoices. You will grieve, but your grief will turn to joy. So with you: Now is your time of grief, but I will see you again and you will rejoice, and no one will take away your joy.” (Jn 16.20, 22) "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." (33)

"My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.” (Jn 17.20-21)


Father, Your word and Your Son speak encouragements to me. The world could never fill my ear nor set my heart with such wonderful words! O Lord, I trust in Your goodness. You are my refuge. Your presence is my peace. You are with me. You assure me. As it was with the apostles, so it is with me. You have graciously and freely given me your Spirit of Truth. The world knows him not. You understand me. The world does not. You are my peace. The world is not. The world rejoices to see you gone, but for me you are ever present and your joy I know and keep. These blessings they cannot know. These they do not want to know. Thank You, O God, for permitting me to know You, to experience Your presence, Your joy, Your peace.

I am encouraged and strengthened. Jesus, you prayed for me when you prayed for your disciples. You had me in mind. I rejoice and am grateful for your love and care, and for your faithfulness to the Father. Because of your life with and in me, you say the world, as blind and evil as it is, can know the Father sent you. Thus my prayer. This is my heart’s desire confessed to you. Without you I am nothing and can do nothing worthy of your name. Father, Lord Jesus, Spirit of God, as I rest in You, and You abide with me, may I realize Your presence and goodness more consistently and fully day after day, and may some from the world come to know, Father, that Jesus is your Son and that he was sent by You into the world as Your revelation to humanity. In gratitude for all You are to me, may my life please bear witness to You in this world. Amen

No comments: