Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Joined To

Greetings Reader.

Much time has passed since I last wrote to you. My heart has been troubled. My head has been distracted. My hands have hindered my ability to write. I have a physical condition, yet undiagnosed by physicians, that prevents me from typing much.

I trust your heart and head have been well, seeking God and finding rest, peace and comfort in Him. We must continually and daily seek and live our peace and comforts in God. There is no earthly source for these. The source is God Himself. Consider the meaning of the Greek word commonly translated in English in the New Testament as “peace.” It means “joined to,” or “unity with.” We must frequently examine ourselves and ask ourselves are we living as joined to, or in unity with, God in Christ or with the world?

Jesus tells us in the world we will have troubles. He also tells us that He alone has overcome the world. If you are a Christian, your identity and life are found in him. Thus, you can truly live as one who experiences now the life which overcomes the world. We are united to and in Christ. It is the life of Christ in you and me that we need live by, and it is He Himself living through us, dear Christian. It is not you and me living according to our own resources (united or joined to the world), what is natural to us, what is according to our flesh.

If, dear reader, you are not one who is in Christ, then you are limited completely to your own natural resources. You are united or joined to the world; what is natural. You share not Christ’s life. You are depending on something that has not the provisions for rest and peace to provide these for you.

Do you, whether believer or not, desire Christ and life in Him this day? Tell Him so.

Then again, there are those famous last words, “I’m not ready yet.”

The below is from Bogatzky’s Golden Treasury. The author of the hymn is not identified. May our Lord encourage you by it.

God’s mercy, peace and love be multiplied to you. (Jude 2)

Carl


How long wilt thou forget me, O Lord? Psalm 13. 1. Divine Answer: Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? Yea, they may forget, yet I will not forget thee. Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands: thy walls are continually before me. Isaiah 49. 15, 16. I will not leave you comfortless. John 14. 18.

Were all our sins and afflictions so soon to be prayed away with a few words, whence these sad and repeated complaints of David? Why should God advise us to wait for him, and persevere in hope? And how could faith and patience be exercised? In our closets we may be lifted up with high speculations; seem to be strong, and able to leap over all the walls; but in great distress we see how dejected and distrusting our hearts often are (Psalm 30. 7, 8); but the Lord preserves us.

Can a woman's tender care Cease toward the child she bare
Yes, she may forgetful be; Yet will I remember thee.
Mine is an unchanging love, Higher than the heights above,
Deeper than the depths beneath, Free and faithful, strong as death.
Thou shalt see my glory soon, When the work of grace is done;
Partner of my throne shalt be: Say, poor sinner, lov'st thou me?
Lord, it is my chief complaint, That my love is weak and faint;
Yet I love thee, and adore; Oh for grace to love thee more.

No comments: