Monday, February 23, 2009

A Simple Word

"Always esteem it best to arrive at your journey's end by that way which divine Wisdom has chosen for you, however different it may be from your own choice, or from the devices of your own heart."

(John Arndt, TC, 40.6)


Reader, may the following be a description of your life with God, be read as thoughtful reflections, and be your prayer to Him.


Thou hidden source of calm repose,
Thou all-sufficient love divine;
My help and refuge from my foes,
Secure I am if Thou art mine;
And lo! From sin, and grief, and shame,
I hide me, Jesus, in Thy name.

Thy mighty name salvation is,
And keeps my happy soul above;
Comfort it brings, and power, and peace,
And joy, and everlasting love;
To me, with Thy dear name, are given
Pardon, and holiness, and Heaven.

Jesus, my All-in-all Thou art –
My rest in toil, my ease in pain,
The medicine of my broken heart,
In war my peace, in loss my gain;
My smile beneath the tyrant’s frown;
In shame, my glory and my crown;

In want, my plentiful supply;
In weakness, my almighty power;
In bonds, my perfect liberty;
My light in Satan’s darkest hour;
My help and stay whene’er I call;
My life in death, my heaven, my all.


(Charles Wesley)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Jesus, my All-in-all Thou art –
My rest in toil, my ease in pain"

reminds me of Hebrews 4:10

"for anyone who enters God's rest also rests from his own work, just as God did from his."

Praise God for his salvific rest!